







Frank Gehry
Most of us are familiar with at least one piece of Frank Gehry’s architecture. I remember there was this big to do about Paul Allen investing in a new kind of music museum called the Experience Music Project or “EMP” for short. It was supposed to be this huge cutting edge building that put the viewer in the drivers seat in terms of interactivity. The icing on the cake was that Mr. Allen commissioned a world renowned architect to design the building in its soon to be home in downtown Seattle. I never really paid to much attention to the uproar or thought to pay that much attention to the construction process of the museum. Lets just say that when I saw final product I finally understood the cheers and the jeers. That in my opinion sums up the work of Frank Gehry. His work is often praised for its forward adaptation of design, all while criticized because of his against the grain approaches.
Frank Gehry was born on February 28, 1929 to a Polish-Jewish family in Toronto, Canada. As a young boy Frank began to hone his creative impulses by constructing and sketching out his ideas and would often borrow materials from his grandfathers hardware store for inspiration. The Young Gehry moved to Los Angeles in 1947 where he began studying at Los Angeles City College. He took his first architecture classes on a whim and fell in love with the possibilities of design. It should be noted that he was very much under skilled and was not a natural when it came to drafting. With the help of his professors and an early encounter with established architect Raphael Soriano, he won a scholarship to the University of Southern California. In 1954 he earned his degree in architecture.
Gehry’s post undergrad career began as he began work at notable architecture firm Victor Gruin Associates. His work would soon be interrupted by military service where he served one year in the United States Army. It was not soon after he returned that he entered into the Harvard Graduate School of Design. He began studying city planning but returned to Los Angeles before he completed his degree. Upon his return home he worked at various LA architectural firms but it is said that he grew tired and decided on relocating with his wife and kids to Paris were he worked for French Architect Andre Romondet and apprenticed under noted modernist Le Corbusier. This marked the true beginnings of his career.
After his stewardship in Paris, Gehry returned to Los Angeles where he spawned Gehry Associates. It should be stated that in the early stages of his business career he continued to work in the international style as created by Le Corbusier and taught by the Bauhaus school. A change began to take place in his design style as he became closely involved with the sculpting community. It was by this new found interest in sculpting that he began to explore new ways and new uses of material and thought. It was at this point where he broke through and his personal design language began to surface. National popularity was soon to follow after the success of his furniture line called East Edges. The hugely popular line was featured in numerous magazine spreads and periodicals. By the mid 1980’s Frank’s work attracted international attention and world acclaim. His work in the Vitra furniture factory in Basil, Switzerland and the Vitra Design Museum in Weil-amRhein, Germany cemented his status as a star in the design world. His style is known as playful and imaginative, all while complex in thought and construction. Critics placed his style of work in the realm of “deconstructivism.“
Deconstructivism, or Deconstruction, is an approach to building design that attempts to view architecture in bits and pieces. The basic elements of architecture are dismantled. Deconstructivist buildings may seem to have no visual logic. They may appear to be made up of unrelated, disharmonious abstract forms.
Originally, some of the architects known as Deconstructivists were influenced by the ideas of the French philosopher Jacques Derrida. For him Deconstructivism should be considered an extension of his interest in radical formalism. Some practitioners of deconstructivism were also influenced by the formal experimentation and geometric imbalances of Russian constructivism. There are additional references in deconstructivism to 20th-century movements: the modernism/postmodernism interplay, expressionism, cubism, minimalism and contemporary art. The attempt in deconstructivism throughout is to move architecture away from what its practitioners see as the constricting 'rules' of modernism such as "form follows function," "purity of form," and "truth to materials."
Gehry’s work is sometimes referred to as Los Angeles School, which is based on the idea that many architects around the Los Angeles area produce postmodern architecture. His work is also known as California funk, which references the 60s and 70s use of inexpensive material to make something grand.
I guess you don’t get to become a Pritzker Prize winning architect without having constructed some amazing pieces of architecture. One of Frank Gehry’s most renowned and some say his best work to date is from his construction of the Guggenheim Museum in Spain. The building itself is designed to be, feel, and appear random. The museum opened in 1997 and was considered by many one of the most immaculate buildings ever constructed in this time and age. The shape itself is said to resemble a ship, which seems quite appropriate since the museum was constructed on the shores of the Nervion River in Biboa. It blends together the world of both the organic and inorganic. While the body of the building flows naturally, the exoskeleton seamlessly blends together titanium flanks to hold together the beautiful composition. In an explanation of the process Gehry explained how he managed to develop the Guggenheim on time and within budget. First he secured the artists in order to maintain his artist vision, then he budgeted a realistic cost or figure, and finally he used a computer-aided system called CATIA along with other time saving software in order to maintain efficiency.
Being from Seattle I think that it would only be in order for me to reference the Gehry piece of architecture that adorns my cities vibrant metropolitan makeup. The building is made up of more than 140,000 square feet of sheet metal and steel. The EMP is very much psychedelic and pays homage in various ways to Seattle bands and rock and roll prodigies such as Jimi Hendrix, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. The building itself is said to resemble a smashed guitar. "We started collecting pictures of Stratocasters, bringing in guitar bodies, drawing on those shapes in developing our ideas" Gehry stated. The outside of the building features a rainbow of golds, silvers, reds and blues. It definitely is a sight to see if and when one travels to Seattle.
Another wildly famous work of Frank Gehry is the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles. In shape it takes after the Guggenheim in my opinion, but on a less grand scale. It seats well over 2,000 occupants. The stainless steel exterior has been said to pose numerous problems according to some Los Angeles residents. In 2005 some of the panels were sanded and dulled in order to counteract the problematic glare.
All in all Frank Gehry’s architecture if not anything is compelling to the eye. He has a flair for pushing the limits of construction and form in the architectural and design world. His non-conformist designs are still today as controversial as ever. I encourage any who has not gotten a change to visit one of his many building to do so. I’m sure you’ll walk away with a strong opinion of your own.
Watch This: Charlie Rose Interview with Frank Gehry: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8650915086454055077
Bibliography
Frank Gehry Biography, Academy of Achievement 2007
Charlie Rose, Frank Gehry, May 2009
Frank O. Gehry: The Complete Works, Phaidon Press, Oct 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gehry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstructivism
You did a good job explaining Deconstructivism in a way that was accessible to me, someone who has never studied architecture before. In my own research I felt that the books I checked out of the library were written for people who were already in graduate architecture programs where they didn't need to explain architectural concepts or movements, so it was nice to see that you had gone the extra mile to find a layman's definition of Deconstructivism. I was also pleased that your images were in color because the ones I had seen of Gehry's architecture in the books I was flipping through for my project were in black and white-- it really makes a difference to see how Gehry managed color in addition to the form and texture of his materials.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your writing approach to this project, very informative and not boring! I have spent much time in LA and I was so glad to find out who designed that building. I have taken photos in front of it, stared at it well passing by but never took the time to look up its purpose or producer. I always thought it was a post-modern opera house. What I would like to also contribute is the fact that when describing or even thinking about fluidity in form, the Walt Disney Concert Hall is always what literally pops into my mind. I support his interesting approach even if it does blind the neighbors.
ReplyDeleteAnd I forgot to tell you that I liked that you started your paper with photographs of his work (good quality at that). Often I mix in my images but I felt that putting them all in the front was smart to let the work speak for itself.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about your report on Frank Gehry. I actually knew of his architecture and his work before I read this but now that I know the information I like him more. I find it very interesting that he kept leaving certain design schools because it didn't feel right. You can tell this from his architecture that he went through alot of trial and error being an apprentice of many different architects until he found the right one. You did a great job on this report explaining everything Frank Gehry went through to become the great architect he is now and also explain all of his works. the pictures of his works are also very enjoyable and you can see the uniqueness of his architecture.
ReplyDeleteI really took pleasure in viewing the architecture by Frank Gehry. It’s amazing how a man can envision these works of art, take them from his brain, put them on paper, and build them. I found it quite out of the ordinary that he left design school after design school to find one that he felt fit him perfectly. You can see from his architecture that it took hours upon hours to come up with the perfect design; something that he felt was perfect. I also like how he incorporated different colors into the buildings. It gives the architecture a new flavor that is sometimes missed by even the best architects. You did a great job explaining to us his path and his achievements.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your explanation of the deconstruction philosophy of the modernism in his design. His architecture completely blows me away. I plan to go to graduate school in Seattle and I can't wait to go visit one of these peculiar yet fantastic buildings. He was smart in taking on so many apprenticeships that way he could learn different forms from so many people.
ReplyDeleteI've seen the buildings, but I am not familiar with Frank Gehry - I can't even pronounce his name. His architecture is amazing and you did well with telling us about his work and background. I admit, I never knew what deconstructivism was either, and you did well explaining that too. The only criticism I have with your paper is your poor use of punctuation and grammar. This stuff is really essential to getting the message behind your words, otherwise the reader can become easily confused and distracted. You have whole paragraphs that don't have a single comma, and simple errors, such as using "to" instead of "too", should have been avoided. I'm not saying you have to be perfect, but there were a lot of errors. Your wording and your writing STYLE however was great, I really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this research paper! It kept me interested and I didn't get bored from rambling on facts. Good job! One thing I did notice on how your designers was very similar to mine is they kind of took their own approach to art and design by exploring new outlets which later became very popular. Eero Saarinen I feel was also a non-conformist during his age allowing him to create new and exciting things just like Frank Gehry. I also thought the deconstructivism piece of the paper was very interesting. I definitely was to check out Gehry's works now!
ReplyDeleteWhat you have to say about Gehry"s life is so true, it seems that many architects play with ideas and styles until they find the one that best describes them. I am a native Seattleite myself and it is some what of an honor to say that I have one of Gehry's pieces in my city. Back to the paper, I find it so important to say where the architect started because it will tell you a lot about where they will go, you did this very well. I find it very helpful that you elaborated on main points like Deconstructivism and other styles. Thank you for your wonderful paper!
ReplyDelete